Come and try our signature dish, the Family Famous Chicken Pie!
Our delicious, savory pie is made with fresh, all-natural ingredients and is sure to satisfy your cravings. It’s the perfect combination of juicy chicken, and a flaky, buttery crust. Plus, it’s easy to make and can feed a crowd! So don’t wait to experience the flavor of our Family Famous Chicken Pie. Stop by today and try it for yourself!
Come and try our signature dish, the Family Famous Chicken Pie! Our delicious, chicken pie is made with fresh, all-natural ingredients and is sure to satisfy your cravings. Stop by today and try it for yourself!
- Fry onions in VOO till golden and translucent, add garlic, and fry another minute or two.
- Spoon the mixture out on a plate and set aside.
- Add extra VOO in a large pot, add chicken, stir, and fry till you have all the pieces a golden color.
- Add all spices, to taste, and also the cloves.
- Add water, bring to a rolling boil, and then cook for ±1 hour till meat is soft and tender and falls off the bone. Be careful, do not overcook it.
- Now we usually let this just sit overnight, in the pot as it will still have enough heat and cook a bit more.
- The next morning, heat it just enough in order for you to not burn your fingers, and it’s easy to handle and debone thoroughly.
- Shred the meat and leave it in the juice.
- Prepare your baking dish. Spray or butter the bottom. I use filo pastry, much easier than rolling out the puff pastry.
- Place one sheet on the countertop, paint it with the egg wash along the edges and a few spots in the middle, and then add another sheet on top.
- Continue till you have at least 5 or 6 sheets stacked on top of one another. Take this stack and place it in your dish.
- Make sure you have the edges also covered with the pastry.
- Now spoon the chicken out onto the pastry. I usually use a slotted spoon to ensure that I do not have a lot of juice, leave it till the end, then you will be able to see if you need to add a tad more, depending on how juicy you like it and it is.
- Remember when it’s cold, you will not see as much juice, but when baking and heated you will notice the juice.
- Eggwash the pastry sheets at the edges, as you will now add the top layer of filo sheets and they need to stick together.
- Now start the process over again with the filo pastry sheets, another 5 or 6 sheets, and lay that over the top of the meat.
- Eggwash the edges of the top sheets, and bind them to the bottom edges. I usually fold them to ensure that I lock down the meat and juice inside.
- Eggwash the entire top.
- Bake in the oven at 375F / 190C for ± 40-45 minutes, and you have a good golden color and the pie nice and warm.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Esme (blogger and owner) of The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1 block
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 277 mg
- Fat: 12.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.3 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 19 mg
Keywords: Chicken Pie
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.