Nan Khatai / Nankhatai is shortbread biscuits popular in India and Pakistan. The word Nankhatai is derived from the Persian word Naan meaning bread and “Khatai” from an Afghan word meaning Biscuit.
Nan Khatai / Nankhatai shortbread biscuitsIngredients:
- 500g butter OR Stork Bake
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 tsp ground Elachi (ground cardamon)
- ½ tsp fine nutmeg
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3½ cups cake flour.
- Cream the butter till light and fluffy, then add the spices and the rest of the dry ingredients
- Make marble size balls, by rolling them in the palm of your hands and place it on a baking tray.
- Place a piece of almond on each biscuit, and lightly press it into the dough.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes, until light brown in color
- Sprinkle with crystal gold edible glitters when biscuits are cooled off. (optional)
Prepared, tried and tested by Feriel Sonday
More Nan Khatai recipe home tested
Tried this recipe?
Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare