Ground Flaxseed, GF Spinach, and Savory Waffles
I had no idea how this will turn out, as I just winged it as I wanted to test out my new waffle pan but knew it had to be Gluten-free. Furthermore, I checked my pantry and fridge and voila, green-gold this is for sure and a keeper in my books.
Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win, and sometimes you strike gold….. sorry I mean green gold. Oh, my this is so delicious.
- 4 frozen cubes chopped spinach
- 50ml crumbled bacon bits
- ½ teaspoon onion flakes
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ cup Gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil (regular oil will also work)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Almond Milk (or any milk you prefer)
- Firstly, thaw and then squeeze dry the spinach. You need to get out as much water as you can and add to a bowl. Fluff or shred into loose strands.
- Add the crumbled bacon and onion flakes.
- Spoon over the flaxseed meal and then the GF flour and the Baking Soda.
- Add the Cheddar and Parmesan cheese and mix lightly.
- Whisk the eggs and milk, add the coconut oil and then the spinach and blend together, but make sure that the spinach does not clump.
- Prepare your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Add the mixture to your waffle iron and bake it as you would regular waffles.
- This recipe made 2 large waffles, just over 7-inch diameter in size.
- Please note that my waffle iron did not require any greasing but if yours does, please do so before each batch.
I am sure you will be able to adapt this and prepare it with regular flour and regular milk. I used what I will normally use and what I had available, but am glad I did it my way!!!!
Created, prepared, tried, and tested by Esme Slabs
Looking for more delectable and moreish Waffle Recipes? We’ve got you covered.
Tried this recipe?
Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare