German Beef Rouladen is made from thinly sliced tenderized steak and an added surprise of dill pickles served with mushrooms on mashed potatoes.
Rouladen or Rinderrouladen is a German meat dish, usually consisting of bacon, onions, mustard, and pickles wrapped in thinly sliced beef which is then cooked.
- 6 slices thinly sliced tenderized steak
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 onion sliced (I used red)
- 6 dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups beef stock
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- 1 can sliced mushrooms with juice (this is optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Layout beef slices and gently pound using a meat tenderizer.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper. (I seasoned my steak as I'd normally do with my usual steak seasoning).
- Spread a thin layer of mustard over each slice and season with pepper.
- Lay bacon over mustard.
- Top with a few onion slices (not too much as you'll have difficulty rolling) and a dill pickle.
- Gently roll up each Roulade and secure it with toothpicks.
- Heat butter in a pan (I added a splash of olive oil too) and sear/brown each
- Place in a roasting/casserole dish, add stock, canned mushrooms, and ¼ cup
pickle juice, and any extra onions.
- Roast for 90 minutes or until fork-tender. (I did it for just over an hour).
- Remove Roulade from the juices, set on a plate, and cover.
- Pour juices into the pan you seared the Roulade and place on the stove over
medium-high heat until boiling, making sure to scrape up any brown bits.
- Make a cornstarch slurry with an equal amount of cornstarch and water.
- Add cornstarch or Bisto gravy mixture to the boiling stock while whisking until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Serve Roulade over mashed potatoes.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Melanie Kramar from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Amount Per Serving Calories 230Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 52mgSodium 1120mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 16g
EsmeSalon provides approximate nutrition information for your convenience and as a courtesy only. Please note that all nutrition data is congregated by online calculators. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe, and we strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but can not guarantee or provide any assurances regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own estimates based on the ingredients used, and by using your own and preferred nutrition calculator. The author(s) of EsmeSalon are not dietitians or nutritionists. Any recommendations shall not be construed as medical or nutritional advice. You are fully responsible for any actions you take and any consequences that occur because of anything you read on this website. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Please consult your health care provider regarding any health-related decisions.