As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Half Moon Empanadas, is a truly delicious treat and will be well-received by all, as a snack or as a nice light afternoon meal. A truly delicious treat and will be well-received by all, as a snack or as a nice light afternoon meal
- 2 cups grated/shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup almond flour + extra to adjust the texture of the dough. The dough should be soft and pliable
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 small eggs or 1 large egg
- A crack of salt to taste
- 1 cup za’atar
- Enough olive oil to make a paste – I use 1/2 cup za’atar with about 1/3 cup olive oil.
- 1 egg whisked
- Coconut flour
- Mix the grated cheese, salt, and cream cheese in a microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir and microwave again for 1 minute till completely melted.
- Add 1 cup almond flour and eggs.
- Mix till a soft dough forms.
- Add more flour in small amounts, until a soft pliable dough forms.
- Place the dough between 2 pieces of baking paper and roll flat.
- Cut circles with a cookie cutter.
- Place 1 tsp filling in the center and fold close.
- Gently press the edges together.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Coat in whisked egg, remove and coat with coconut flour.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Fry on medium heat till golden brown.
Beef mince filling Ingredients
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 3-5 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 stock cube
- A crack of sea salt / Himalayan pink salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 500g beef mince
- Heat the oil, fry the veg and garlic till brown.
- Add the stock cube and spices with a small amount of water.
- Add the mince and dry fry till the mince is cooked tender.
- Refrigerate and use to stuff or fill pastries – empanadas – half-moons – galettes – gozleme – spring rolls.
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Caashifa Adams Young
2 thoughts on “Low Carb Half Moon Empanadas”
Reblogged this on Die Erste Eslarner Zeitung – Aus und über Eslarn, sowie die bayerisch-tschechische Region! and commented:
Also on the table:
– Gail’s Pea and Ham Soup