Come and join me and try out this Home-made Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy
Get on your apron, and prepare your own Home-made Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup water
- 1 kg tenderized steak
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken or beef stock (I used chicken)
- 1 cup milk (I used cream)
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to prepare the Steaks:
- Whisk 1 cup flour, onion and garlic powders, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper together in a medium bowl.
- Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and water.
- Heat the butter and oil in the skillet till sizzling.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the steak in the flour mixture, then the egg, and then back in the flour mixture to coat.
- Add the steak to the skillet. Repeat with the remaining steaks adding more oil as needed.
- Work in batches if necessary so as to not overcrowd the pan.
- Overcrowding will cause the steaks to steam and the coating will not get crisp.
- Cook the stakes for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Flip the steaks and continue cooking for an additional 4 minutes until golden.
- Transfer the steaks to a platter or baking sheet and cover with foil to keep warm.
How to prepare the Gravy:
- Add butter to the same skillet and sprinkle with flour.
- Whisk together in the pan and cook until golden.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and continue cooking until thickened.
- Stir in the cream until smooth and beginning to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the steaks immediately with the gravy.
- A few years ago I came across the recipe for Chicken Fried Steak and I made it.
- I came across the video again lately and it looked so nice I decided to make it again.
- If anyone is as curious as me as to why it’s called ‘chicken’ fried ‘steak’ (well I googled its origin and here’s a brief synopsis of it “Chicken fried steak is an American breaded cutlet dish consisting of a piece of beefsteak.
- Where and when the term “chicken-fried steak” began remains a mystery.
- The precise origins of the dish are unclear, but many sources attribute its development to German and Austrian immigrants to Texas in the 19th century.
- There’s no denying that chicken-fried steak is a culinary icon of Texas (Well, in my opinion, I think the Germans and the Austrians took the “Schnitzel” to Texas and the Texans must’ve said you fry your steak like we fry our chicken!
- Anyway, after that Bayan, moving on … Now whilst I’ve never followed a recipe verbatim in my life, this pretty much (95%) sums up what a “Chicken-Fried” Steak is all about (BTW it came out fantastic – especially the sauce).
- Served with potato wedges and slap-dash egg fried rice.
Prepared, tried, and tested Melanie Kramar
We have lots and lots of chicken recipes, so feel free to browse and enjoy!