As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
So I decided to make homemade biltong yesterday. Can’t wait for it to dry, Yummy
- 2 kg of beef (eye of round) or a similar cut like silverside
- 1 cup rock salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup coriander seeds – toasted and crushed
- 1½ cups of brown vinegar mixed with 3/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- Black pepper
- A sprinkle of red chili flakes (optional)
- Cut the eye of round beef into strips ***. with the fat on the outside.
- Lightly cover the meat with the rock salt and lay it down in a plastic container and put it in the fridge for about 15 minutes or so.
- In another plastic tub or bowl pour the malt vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the sugar and the bicarbonate of soda to the brine.
- Mix the brine well.
- Now pour the toasted coriander seeds into a Kitchen Aid machine and pulse, just enough to break the seeds in half and to make a little powder. You can also put the seeds in a ziplock bag and hammer them with a kitchen mallet to crush them.
- Remove the tub with the salted steaks from the fridge and remove all the rock salt from each steak. The meat should be firm right now. Lay all the steaks with the salt removed aside.
- Now dunk all the steaks into the brine and let them sit there for about 5 to 10 minutes. 9. Start removing each steak and squeeze each steak to remove liquid
- Do this to all the steaks and lay them aside
- Now sprinkle each steak first with the coriander seeds and then with the black pepper to taste. Repeat for both sides.
- Now hang each steak in your biltong box or any safe place. Make sure that the pieces do not touch each other. If you don’t have a biltong box you can use a fold-up clothes hanger and have a fan blow on the meat.
- Let it cure for 4 to 7 days
- Remove dried biltong and enjoy
Recipe: Adriaan Botha
Prepared, tried, and tested by Gail Haselsteiner
*** PS: I used Silverside beef and I added some crushed red chili flakes to the rub. This is optional.