Homemade Mixed Vegetable Pickles, and a staple in many South African homes as it’s a great accompaniment to any curry dish.
Are pickles vegetables healthy?
Fermented pickles are full of good bacteria called probiotics, which are important for gut health. Fights diseases. Cucumbers are high in an antioxidant called beta-carotene, which your body turns into vitamin A.
How long will pickled vegetables last?
The pickled vegetables or fruit will keep for about 5 to 6 months in a jar — always make sure to refrigerate whatever you pickle
How to Pickle Basically Everything
Ask me what I’d do with nearly any summer vegetable, and the answer is almost always the same: “Pickle it.”
Homemade Mixed Vegetable Pickles
A staple in many South African homes as it’s a great accompaniment to any curry dish
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Soak, Dry off Time: 2880 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 48.8 hours
- Yield: 5+ jars depending on size 1x
- Category: Fruits, Vegetables, and Other Produce
- Cuisine: South African
- 1 cup Carrots
- 1 cup Cabbage
- 1 cup Green Beans
- 1 cup Cauliflower
- 1 cup Baby/Pickle Onions
- 8–10 Garlic Cloves (add later)
- 10 Green Chilies (approx.)
- 1/2 cup Dried Figs (clean thoroughly)
- 1L White Spirit Vinegar (approx.)
- 1 Tbsp. Salt (see below)
- 1 Tbsp. Pickle Masala
- 3 cups of Vegetable Oil (approx.)
- Prepare the vegetable (except the garlic) ie. and peel/cut roughly the same size.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl and pour in the vinegar (enough to cover the vegetable about halfway).
- Allow it to soak overnight, mixing it every a few hours.
- The following day, drain the vegetables and lay them on a baking sheet or tray, and allow them to dry off for 24 hours (in direct sunlight if possible).
- If adding dried figs, boil them in the leftover vinegar till plump (about 5-8 minutes) drain, and set aside.
- Once the vegetables have dried, place in a wide large bowl, add in the figs, garlic, masala, salt, and oil (enough to just cover the vegetable), and mix well.
- Pickle may be consumed immediately or stored in the refrigerator and enjoy!!
- NB: use a clean dry spoon when decanting the pickle and mix ever so often to avoid mold from forming.
- Taste the pickle Masala before adding extra salt as it does contain salt as well.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes -Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 3358
- Sugar: 261
- Sodium: 14786
- Fat: 46
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Unsaturated Fat: 36
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 687
- Fiber: 135
- Protein: 154
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Vegetable Pickles
More Pickling / Vinegar Recipes
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!