Homemade Mixed Vegetable Pickles, and a staple in many South African homes as it’s a great accompaniment to any curry dish.
Are pickles vegetables healthy?
Fermented pickles are full of good bacteria called probiotics, which are important for gut health. Fights diseases. Cucumbers are high in an antioxidant called beta-carotene, which your body turns into vitamin A.
How long will pickled vegetables last?
The pickled vegetables or fruit will keep for about 5 to 6 months in a jar — always make sure to refrigerate whatever you pickle
- 250 ml (1 Cup) Carrots
- 250 ml (1 Cup) Cabbage
- 250 ml (1 Cup) Green Beans
- 250 ml (1 Cup) Cauliflower
- 250 ml (1 Cup) Baby/Pickle Onions
- 8-10 Garlic Cloves (add later)
- 10 Green Chilies (approx.)
- ½ Cup (125 ml) Dried Figs (clean thoroughly)
- 1L White Spirit Vinegar (approx.)
- 1 Tbsp. (12.5 ml) Salt (see below)
- 1 Tbsp. (12.5 ml) Pickle Masala
- 3 cups (750 ml) of Vegetable Oil (approx.)
- Prepare the vegetable (except the garlic) ie. and peel/cut roughly the same size.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl and pour in the vinegar (enough to cover the vegetable about halfway).
- Allow it to soak overnight, mixing it every a few hours.
- The following day, drain the vegetables and lay them on a baking sheet or tray, and allow them to dry off for 24 hours (in direct sunlight if possible).
- If adding dried figs, boil them in the leftover vinegar till plump (about 5-8 minutes) drain, and set aside.
- Once the vegetables have dried, place in a wide large bowl, add in the figs, garlic, masala, salt, and oil (enough to just cover the vegetable), and mix well.
- Pickle may be consumed immediately or stored in the refrigerator and enjoy!!
- NB: use a clean dry spoon when decanting the pickle and mix ever so often to avoid mold from forming.
- Taste the pickle Masala before adding extra salt as it does contain salt as well.
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Prepared, tried, and tested by Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes -Saffas Daily Recipes
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Amount Per Serving Calories 3358Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 36gCholesterol 0mgSodium 14786mgCarbohydrates 687gFiber 135gSugar 261gProtein 154g
EsmeSalon provides approximate nutrition information for your convenience and as a courtesy only. Please note that all nutrition data is congregated by online calculators. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe, and we strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but can not guarantee or provide any assurances regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own estimates based on the ingredients used, and by using your own and preferred nutrition calculator. The author(s) of EsmeSalon are not dietitians or nutritionists. Any recommendations shall not be construed as medical or nutritional advice. You are fully responsible for any actions you take and any consequences that occur because of anything you read on this website. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Please consult your health care provider regarding any health-related decisions.
How to Pickle Basically Everything
Ask me what I’d do with nearly any summer vegetable, and the answer is almost always the same: “Pickle it.”
More Pickling / Vinegar Recipes
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.