One a penny, two a penny, Hot-cross buns! Hot Cross Buns Diabetic Friendly and made with pure honey.
Hot Cross Buns
A hot cross bun is a spiced sweet bun usually made with fruit, marked with a cross on the top, and has been traditionally eaten on Good Friday in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, India, Pakistan, and the United States
History of the Hot Cross bun and its relation to Good Friday
This sweet yeast bread studded with candied fruit and raisins has roots dating back centuries
Hot Cross Buns are delicious sweet rolls, lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and studded with raisins, and citrus peel. The glaze is also made from Citrus fruit.
- 4 cups Bread Flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. All Spice
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Citrus Peels
- 1/3 cup Raisins (optional)
- 1/3 cup Sugar/Honey
- 2 1/4 tsp. Yeast
- 1 1/2 cup Warm Milk
- 4 tbsp. Butter (melted)
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 5 tbsp. Flour
- Citrus juice
- 1 tsp. corn flour
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. In a bowl whisk the warm milk, eggs, butter, and yeast together.
- Add to the dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Remove from the bowl and knead it until a soft dough is formed.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl.
- Cover and place in a warm spot for about 90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Knock the dough down, portion and form it into small balls.
- Place closely to each other on a greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let it rise again for 30 minutes.
- Once risen, brush with egg then pipe the cross over the tops.
- Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush with the glaze while warm.
* Diabetic Friendly. I used pure honey, freshly grated peels, and fewer raisins, and the glaze was made with the juice from the citrus fruit *
- Mix until a smooth paste is formed.
- Citrus juice is cooked with honey to a syrupy reduction and then thickened with 1 teaspoon of corn flour.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes -Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 15
- Sodium: 265
- Fat: 6
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 52
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 44
Keywords: Diabetic Hot Cross Buns
More Hot Cross Bun Recipes to have a go at
WP Tasty just released an awesome tool to create the most beautiful Roundup Posts with awesome and outstanding features.
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.