Need to find out How do you make bagels at home
I topped half my batch with sesame seeds and the other half with poppy seeds.
Ingredients for the sponge:
2¼ cups normal cool tap water.
1 tsp instant dry yeast.
3 cups white bread flour.
Ingredients for the dough:
Ingredients for the final touches:
Method for the sponge:
- In a bowl, mix the flour, active yeast, and water together until well combined.
- Leave aside to stand for 30 minutes.
Method for the dough:
- Add the active yeast, honey, bread flour, salt, and sponge to the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Mix with the hook attachment on low, till the dough comes together.
- Increase the speed to medium and knead until elastic, roughly 10 – 15 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit on the countertop for an hour.
- Then pop into the fridge and allow to chill overnight.
- Turn the chilled dough out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal-sized pieces.
- Shape the dough into a ball.
- Make a hole in the center, and stick both index fingers through the hole.
- Rotate the ball round and round, stretching your fingers allowing the hole to get bigger as you go round and round.
- For the final touches, fill a pot halfway with water.
- Bring to the boil and add the honey and baking soda, stir to combine.
- Gentle drop a bagel into the pot and allow the bagel to boil for about 2 – 3 minutes until almost doubled in size.
- Remove from the hot water, using a slotted spoon, and place on a greased baking tray.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Switch the oven off and crack open the door, leave the bagels in there for another 10 minutes.
- Allow cooling completely before enjoying
Prepared, tried, and tested by Bobby
choose from these Amazon products
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.