How To Make Hasselback Potatoes
Perfectly baked Hasselback potatoes (and sweet potatoes) are the most delicious additions to just about any main meal.
- 4 medium or large potatoes, skins on
- 4 medium orange sweet potatoes, peeled
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs (just rosemary and thyme will also do)
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line an oven pan with foil.
- Cut thin slits into the tops of the potatoes and sweet potatoes, but don’t slice right through, stop midway so just the tops are cut into thin slices but the bottoms still keep it intact.
- Drizzle very generously with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, and Italian herbs.
- Pop the uncovered dish into the oven and bake for 1 hour, and check on them every 30 minutes to ensure they don’t burn. Ovens vary, so yours may be done in 45 minutes.
- Add a dollop of cottage cheese for a fresh finish.
- Dish up and enjoy it.
Why are they called Hasselback potatoes?
This Swedish side dish gets its name from Hasselbacken, the Stockholm restaurant where it was first served. The seasoned potatoes turn out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Almost like thick potato chips, but all still connected at the base.