Kick it up a notch with this delectable Jalapeno Mac and Cheese with Bacon!!
The combination of the spicy jalapeno and the savory bacon with the creamy mac and cheese is a great combination of flavors. Plus, it’s a fun and interesting twist on a classic dish.
- Olive oil and salt
- 1 packet macaroni
- 1 packet of bacon bits
- 1 red onion, sliced fine
- 4 tbsp pickled sliced jalapenos
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 4 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 300 ml cream
- 2 cups warm milk
- A shake of salt, pepper, mustard powder, and nutmeg
- Paprika for sprinkling
- Boil water in a pot.
- Once it starts to boil add salt and a splash of olive and then pasta.
- Cook until al dente.
- Drain and sprinkle with some olive oil and mix.
- Do this while you’re making your sauce.
- But first, fry the bacon in 1 tsp olive oil and cook until done, not crisp.
- Place the jalapeno peppers on a plate lined with a paper towel and blot off excess pickle juices.
- Remove bacon and add to plate with peppers.
- Add onion to bacon fat and fry until tender.
- Then return bacon and pepper to onions and fry for a few more seconds to mix.
- Turn off the heat.
- Melt butter, add the garlic then the flour.
- As soon as the roux is smooth and golden add the cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the fresh cream, parmesan cheese, and all seasoning.
- Bring to a nice thick consistency.
- Add 1½ cups warm milk, and slowly add the cheddar cheese, whisking on low heat till melted.
- If too thick add more milk.
- Add ½ the pasta and half the bacon/onion/jalapeno mix and mix well.
- Again adding more milk if too thick.
- Add the remaining pasta and bacon mixture and once all combined pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over and then some paprika.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160 °C for about 30-40 minutes.
- You can then brown the top if you want to, I just like it bubbly and creamy.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Melanie from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 714
- Sugar: 8.4 g
- Sodium: 1594.8 mg
- Fat: 42.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 58.9 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 95 mg
Keywords: Mac and Cheese, Bacon
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.