You have to try this easy and delicious Liver and Onion Dish at home!
- 1½ kg Ox or sheep liver (I used Ox)
- 2 – 3 Large onions
- Flour for coating
- Clean liver, remove membrane around the liver and cut into steaks.
- I soak my liver in saltwater for a little while.
- Pour some flour into a plate and season with salt, pepper, and a little BBQ spice, enough to coat all the liver.
- Roll the liver in the flour making sure the liver steak is well coated.
- Heat a little oil in a pan, and fry all the liver until golden brown.
- The liver does not need to be properly cooked.
- Remove each piece of liver from the pan once browned.
- Slice onions finely and fry in the same pan in the oil until nearly tender.
- Return liver steaks to pan and add a little water just to cover the liver.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- I add a little BBQ again.
- Close pan with a lid, and simmer on low heat.
- Give it now and again a quick stir to make sure it does not stick and burn.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, peas, and a tossed salad.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Caroline du Plessis