A Low Carb pie and a definite keeper in my books, and especially this Low Carb Lemon Meringue Pie
My husband has been craving lemon meringue for ages. I do bake “normal” nonlow carb goodies but I feel better when I can serve my family a healthier alternative that tastes fantastic. This is a definite keeper.
Pie Base Ingredients
- 50g butter
- 1 Tblsp xylitol/sweetener of choice
- 1 egg
- 1.5 cups almond meal
- Lemon Curd
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp xylitol/sweetener of choice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp lemon essence (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1 Tblspn xylitol/sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Pie Base Method
- Melt the butter then mix in the almonds and sweetener.
- Add the egg and mix again. Line the bottom of your pie dish with baking paper, or grease with butter.
- Cover the dish with the pie base and spread out evenly. Bake at 180C for 10 minutes, until just golden.
Pie Filling Method
- Heat the cream in a saucepan until just below boiling.
- Do not allow it to bubble.
- Remove from the heat. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sweetener together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir through.
- Slowly add a little of the warm cream to the egg mixture, constantly whisking all the time to stop the eggs from curdling or cooking.
- Keep adding the cream slowly until all mixed through.
- Put the filling back into the saucepan and heat gently until thickened.
- Once it looks like lemon curd and is as thick as custard, pour onto the pie base and bake at 180C for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the egg whites, sweetener, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Place on top of the pie base and lemon curd, put back in the oven at 180C for another 10 – 15 minutes to allow the meringue to cook and go golden.
- I used a blow torch for the meringues after baking.
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Caashifa Adams Young