Microwave Maple Pecan Vegan Bread Pudding, super easy, quick, and fully vegan. Can be made in advance but I prefer to make it and serve.
Bread pudding is a bread-based dessert popular in many countries’ cuisines, made with stale bread and milk or cream, generally containing eggs, a form of fat such as oil, butter or suet, and depending on whether the pudding is sweet or savory, a variety of other ingredients
Vegan bread pudding, is a delicious dessert, so easy to make, and only requires 12 rather simple ingredients. It’s perfect to serve with fresh coconut vegan cream
- 1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- ⅔ cup good quality maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt **
- 1¼ cups Coconut milk (non-dairy)
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup pecan halves
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup demerara brown sugar
- ¼ cup Earth Balance buttery spread, vegan butter
- 5 cups (2-inch pieces) day-old bread* This worked out to 14 slices of medium thick bread sliced into quarters.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and lightly oil a 9 x 12” baking dish.
- Arrange the bread pieces in the baking dish. I ended up with about 2½ layers* (See below)
- Whisk the coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon of salt ** together into a medium microwave bowl.
- Place bowl in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. Depending on the strength of your microwave this may take longer but you want the mixture to be simmering.
- While this mixture heats up, stir the coconut milk and cornstarch together in a small bowl until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Once the milk mixture is heated and simmering, whisk in the cornstarch slurry, and return to the microwave for 4 minutes in total.
- Stop after a minute, mix, and whisk it through with a wire whisk and return and repeat this process a total of 4 times or until you end up with a thick pudding mixture.
- Now pour this mixture (⅓ at a time) over each layer of bread*
- As I had 2½ layers, it's best to place down a layer of bread to cover the bottom of the baking dish, then spoon a ⅓ of the pudding, add a second layer of bread add pudding, and continue until all done and ending with a pudding layer.
- Mix the brown sugar, Earth Balance buttery spread, and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt together in a small bowl and nuke in the microwave to melt the butter.
- Add the pecans and berries and mix through then spoon the mixture over the bread mixture.
- Now into the oven and bake it uncovered, until bubbly and slightly browned on top, about 45 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave for 5-10 minutes in the oven before removing and allow it to cool for a few minutes and serve warm or allow it to cool and set completely before serving.
- If you make it ahead of time, and you have a warm oven you can pop it back in the oven to warm up before serving.
- Cut up in cubes and serve with vegan cream or ice cream.
1. I will use 1½ to 1¾ cups of Coconut milk (non-dairy) as I feel the pudding was rather thick.
2. I will also increase the ¼ cup Earth Balance buttery spread, vegan butter by adding 1-2
tablespoons extra (15-30ml).
3. Additionally, I think it would be best to bake and serve it immediately while still piping hot. I baked it one day ahead of time, and just nuked it in a cooling down oven, but think freshly baked and piping hot will taste way better.
4. I added blueberries and it turned out pretty good. It gave that extra texture and fresh taste.
5. Served with fresh coconut vegan cream.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Esme Slabs from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes - Saffas Daily Recipes
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Similar recipes to try out
Thanks for stopping by
- If you liked this post, please share it on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter. It will be awesome if you care to leave us a rating and review once you prepared this recipe. ♥
- If you’re in need of a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please do visit the shop and have a look at all those awesome Recipe eBooks.
- Amazon: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
If you from time to time do online shopping through Amazon, I will be grateful for your support using any of my links. Please take a look at any of the recipes on this blog. Either use a regular link or an image with the Buy from Amazon purple button. Thank you for your support and for using my links.