Mushroom Walnut Bourguignon with Cauliflower Mash
(Vegan & GF) This is a must-have – it was delicious.
This is a rich hearty mushroom stew flavored with walnuts, red wine, and fresh thyme leaves. Served over light, fluffy cauliflower mashed potatoes for a warm, comforting dinner that’s ready in just over 30 minutes.
As we are not vegans, Barry used regular butter, milk, and flour. You just have to try the dish, and we want to thank my daughter Dominique for suggesting this to us.
- 2lbs mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1c chopped walnuts
- 2 small carrots, finely diced
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½c full-bodied red wine
- 2c vegetable broth
- 2T tomato paste
- 1.5t fresh thyme leaves & sprigs for garnish
- 2T chickpea flour
- 2T olive oil
- 1c pearl onions, peeled
- 2T melted vegan butter (I used regular butter as we are not vegans)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Cauliflower Mash:
- 1 head cauliflower florets
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¼ c almond milk (I used 2% regular milk)
- 2T vegan butter (I used regular non-salted butter)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1T oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Sear the mushrooms and pearl onions for 3-4 minutes until they become darker.
- Before the mushrooms release water, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
- Throw in the onion, carrots, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and walnuts and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes more.
- Pour 1 cup of wine into the pan and turn the heat back up to medium-high.
- Reduce the wine by half, stirring often. Be sure to frequently scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato paste and vegetable broth.
- Stir until evenly mixed then add the pearl onions and seared mushrooms.
- Pour in the remaining ½ cup of wine and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 12-15 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
Method Cauliflower Mash:
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to boil and throw in the cauliflower and potatoes.
- Boil for 8-10 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain then add to a food processor bowl with the vegan butter, almond milk, salt, and pepper. Process for 2-3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- 6. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of melted vegan butter and the chickpea flour.
- Stir the mixture into the mushroom bourguignon pan to thicken the gravy.
- Add more thyme, salt, or pepper to taste and continue simmering for another 5 minutes.
- If the gravy is too thick, add more wine. If it’s thin, boil it down until it reaches your desired consistency.
The recipe’s original time reflects using pre-sliced mushrooms, pre-chopped walnuts, pre-cut cauliflower florets, and making the cauliflower mash while the bourguignon is cooking. Using whole vegetables will add another 20-25 minutes to your prep time.
Wheat flour may be substituted for chickpea flour.
Recommended mushrooms are crimini and baby portobellos.
Recipe credit: Smitten Kitchen, but adapted to my own liking
Prepared, tried, and tested Beverley Gracie
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I will be on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes directly to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!
We happily share our awesome recipes and are excited to sprinkle some love by sharing our posts at these awesome Linkup Parties.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.