As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Oven Chinese Pork Spare Ribs are a firm family favorite in our house and are oh so delicious!
- 1 kg baby back pork spare ribs
- 1-star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp 5 spice powder
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 thumb-sized ginger
- 1 tbsp red bean paste
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp char siu paste
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp plum sauce
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Place spareribs in a pot and cover with water.
- Add 1-star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp 5 spice powder, and 10 peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil – boil until the scum surfaces to the top.
- Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water.
- In the meantime, to a glass jug add the remaining ingredients and heat in the microwave on high until bubbly.
- Remove and stir in 2 tbsp cold water.
- Set aside to cool while waiting for the ribs.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and position the rack in the middle.
- Brush the sauce liberally over the ribs.
- Bake for half an hour, basting every 10 minutes.
Vegetable Medley with Balsamic Vinegar & Garlic
- 4 potatoes, peeled, washed, and halved
- 1 pct pre-washed and sliced zucchini
- 1 pct pre-washed green beans
- 4 big garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 tbsp ghee/butter
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp Rustic Potato spice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Vegeta or Aromix
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat the ghee/butter olive oil in a large pan.
- As soon as the butter starts to foam add the potatoes.
- Season with potato spice, salt, and pepper turn and season again.
- Brown the potatoes on high on both sides (doesn’t have to crisp), then lower heat.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, seasoning salt, Vegeta, onion powder, black pepper, and half the garlic.
- Add the green beans and Zucchini and turn to low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the garlic and balsamic vinegar, give it a quick stir, close the lid, and leave it on the lowest temperature until all vegetables are tender but firm.
Prepared, tried, and tested Melanie Kramar