As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today was HERRING day. Pickled Herring Jewish Rosh Hashanah
According to tradition, having fish on the table is an omen for blessings in the year to come. When the fish is served, observant Jews recite a prayer expressing the wish “that we be fruitful and multiply like fish.”
- 1kg Salted Herrings
- 2 onions, sliced thinly into rings
- 1 cup Vinegar
- 1 Tbls sugar
- About 3 cups Water
- About 7 Bay Leaves and also optional: 1 tsp of pickling spice
- A handful of black peppercorns
- Granny Smith apples (optional and not used in this)
Method for this Pickled Herring Jewish Rosh Hashanah
- Defrost salted herrings and cut them into approximate inch sizes
- Tip: wear disposable gloves as it will be difficult to get the smells off your hands – herrings and onions, and place in a big bowl.
- Slice onions into thin rings and place them into a bowl.
- Take 3 cups of water, 1 cup vinegar, and ±1 tablespoon sugar. Mix together till sugar has dissolved.
- Add to the water to the bay leaves, black peppercorns, and pickling spice.
- In a big pickling jar, start layering the cut-up pieces of herring, onions, and if you opted for apples.
- Add a good amount of liquid.
- Repeat the layering process until all the Herring and onions used.
- Pour in the remaining liquid, but make sure the herrings are covered by the liquid.
- DO NOT REFRIGERATE NOW.
- Leave for ±24 hours on the counter before placing it in the refrigerator.
- PICKLED HERRINGS SHOULD BE MADE AT LEAST 3-4 DAYS PRIOR TO SERVING AS THIS GIVES THE HERRINGS TIME TO PICKLE.
- Before plating, taste to see if it is to your liking or if it needs more sugar or more vinegar.
- If so, add some to the liquid.
Recipe credit: Dalia Frank (Mom😂)
Tried this recipe?
Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Hi, have you ever considered to come and join us at our two FB Recipe Groups:
2 thoughts on “Pickled Herring Jewish Rosh Hashanah”
Once again I made Pickled Herring for Rosh Hashana and ….. after one sitting and 16 guests . … almost a kilo was demolished. It was outstanding, if I say so myself. Every year is getting better and better.
Shanah Tovah y friend. All the best for you and your family.