Read more regarding Malasada
Portuguese Mascarpone Lemon Fried Doughnuts
Fresh warm doughnuts are a tradition in many Portuguese homes especially during the Easter season
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Frying Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: Approximately 15 depending on size 1x
- Category: Recipes
- Cuisine: Portuguese
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of mascarpone cream cheese
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 1/3 cups of flour
- Oil for frying
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar, add the mascarpone cheese, mix well and add the juice and lemon zest.
- Knead again, slowly incorporate the flour and baking powder and knead some more so everything is well incorporated.
- Let the dough stand covered with a cloth for half an hour at room temperature.
- Heat the oil, put the dough on a pastry board, and separate the dough into pieces of about 1 ounce each, make rolls with your hands lightly floured, cross them at the ends and continue until the dough is finished.
- Fry in hot oil, until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen towel.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar while they are still warm.
Source: Traditional Portuguese Recipes
Prepared, tried, and tested by Melanie Kramar from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 229
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 154
- Fat: 13
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 54
Keywords: portuguese lemon fried doughnuts recipe
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!