I have a sick husband and little girl in the house, so a heartwarming Potato Bacon Soup was at the order of the day!
Unfortunately, our local grocer sold out of leeks (everyone else must’ve wanted soup too!). So I improvised:
- 8 large or 12 small potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1L chicken stock
- 1lb thick-cut bacon
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 5 celery stalks, sliced thinly
- 1 cup half & half
- Boil the potatoes in the chicken stock until very soft.
- At the same time, saute the bacon, onion, and celery until softened.
- Mash the potatoes somewhat, then add the cream and the bacon mixture.
- Combine, heat through, and serve, either as is or with a bit of cheddar on top.
- We had it without the cheese, but I added a dash of black pepper, and simple focaccia on the side.
- My husband said he hadn’t felt this good all day! See, soup really is therapeutic.
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Corlea Smit