What is more comforting than a big hearty pulled lamb pie?
- 1½ medium onions
- 2kg leg of lamb (deboned)
- 1 large heaped tbs minced garlic
- VOO (Virgin Olive Oil)
- 10 large brown mushrooms
- 170g baby carrots
- 1 liter boiling water
- 300ml good quality red wine
- 150ml port
- Freshly ground coriander
- BBQ Spices
- 12 cloves
- Cut onions into medium size chunks
- Fry until shiny in a large pot.
- Add the garlic, fry until fragrant, scoop out, and set aside.
- Cut the meat up into large pieces, and fry in batches.
- Add ½ of the onion/garlic mix and all the meat back into the pot.
- Add water, red wine, and port and cook for ± 3 hours on low-medium heat.
- The meat should be soft and tender and you should be able to pull it apart with a fork.
- Slice mushrooms and set them aside.
- Cut carrots into cubes and add to the pot and cook until semi-soft – not mushy soft.
- Add the other ½ of the onion/garlic, all the mushrooms, and if needed additional spice (to your taste).
- Cook for another ½-1 hour.
- If you run low on liquid, add a bit of additional water, but be cautious not to overdo it.
- It should not be watery. You can use some cornstarch (Maiziena) to thicken it if needed.
In the meantime, prepare Mashed Potatoes.
- 3 large potatoes
- Cook the potatoes until soft and prepare the mash.
- Add salt to taste, butter, and milk to get a good soft consistency.
- Scoop the meat into a large 13 x 9 2 x 2.5-inch dish.
- Top with the mashed potatoes.
- Paint with egg wash.
- Draw criss-cross patterns with a fork on the potatoes.
- Return to the oven and heat through, and also grill the potato top until slightly brown.
Prepared, tried, and tested Esme Slabs
Hop over and come and join our two FB Recipe Groups:
Copyright © 2022 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.