Scones are the perfect tea time treat.
3 cups flour
1 cup icing sugar
6 tsp baking powder
125g cold butter
1 cup Maas/yogurt/buttermilk
Sift the flour, icing sugar, and baking powder together.
Grate in the butter and rub to form breadcrumbs.
Beat the egg with the maas and vanilla.
Mix the egg and flour mixture together to form a soft dough, add more maas if needed.
The dough must be soft and slightly sticky.
Roll out and cut, brush the tops with beaten egg. I used milk.
Bake @ 180°C for 12-15 mins until golden.
*Tips for scones:
– Butter must be cold, when you rub it into dry ingredients, use fingertips so it doesn’t melt.
– Never knead scone dough. Don’t handle the dough too much.
– When cutting, press the cutter straight in and out, don’t shake it to loosen.
– Place scones a bit close together but not touching on the tray.
– Leave for 10-15 mins before baking.
– When brushing with egg, don’t let the egg drip down the sides or they won’t rise nicely n evenly.
Made this recipe without the egg and only brushed scones with milk.
Prepared, tried, and tested Feriel Sonday