Home-made is always the best as you know what you add to your mix, so try out this delicious Slow Cooker Beef Soup.
Slow Cooker Beef Soup is most comforting as well as time-saving as a perfect treat for the Winter months.
What is the point of a slow cooker?
As a result of the long, low-temperature cooking, slow cookers help tenderize less-expensive cuts of meat. A slow cooker brings out the flavor in foods. A wide variety of foods can be cooked in a slow cooker, including one-pot meals, soups, stews, and casseroles. A slow cooker uses less electricity than an oven.
- 1 large beef shank
- 3 or more beef stock bones, (for collagen )
- 2 large carrots can be grated or cubed
- 1 large turnip, grated or cubed
- 1 large potato, grated or cubed
- 1/2 cup of barley
- 1 cup each of frozen peas, frozen corn, cut green beans, celery, onion, and leeks.
- 1 large fresh tomato
- 1 pkg dry onion soup mix
- 2 litres/quarts of beef stock
- 1 can of beans, (butter, kidney, red or black – your choice).
- 1 can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes, seasoned if possible.
- 1 small can of tomato paste, pre-dissolved
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring 2 to 3 litres of water to a boil.
- In a small pan, brown the beef shank and the stock bones with some onion.
- Now add all ingredients, except the can of beans, to the slow cooker.
- Add the shank and bones, then the boiling water to fill the cooker saving a little to loosen up the drippings in the pan which can be added to the cooker.
- Add the salt and pepper, cover and cook for a minimum of 12 hrs.
- Add the can of beans 15 to 20 minutes before turning the cooker off.
- I used Wally’s homemade beef stock, tomato sauce and seasoned tomato powder in lieu of the store-bought products.
- This recipe can be adapted to be made in a 5 quart/litre pot on the stovetop, and the cooking time can be reduced to 4 hours.
Tried, tested and approved by Doris for sharing and submitted by Paul
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.