This has been my go-to recipe South African Fudge recipe for almost 30 years! Best fudge I’ve ever tasted. It’s hard to stop once you start eating
- 5 C sugar
- 1 stick of butter (115g/ 1/2 C)
- 1 C milk
- 1 2/3 T golden syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Grease a 9×13 dish with butter.
- Combine sugar, butter, milk, syrup, and salt in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir constantly and without boiling until most of the sugar has melted. Bring to a boil and cover with a lid. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in condensed milk and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Once the mixture boils, do not stir again as this will cause it to burn.
- Boil over medium-low heat until it reaches the softball stage – approximately 17 – 20 minutes.
- You can test it by dropping a teaspoonful of fudge in a dish with cold water. If you can form a softball with your fingers, the mixture is ready.
- Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is thick and starts to crystallize.
- Spread into prepared dish and allow to cool for about 15 minutes before scoring the top.
- Cut into squares before it cools completely.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Christl Honiball