Soya Chunks Biriyani is prepared with soya meat and really it tastes great.
- 200 g soy chunks soaked in water one hour before cooking
- 1½ cups of brown rice
- 1tsp ground ginger and garlic
- 3 sticks of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaf
- 1tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp crushed chilies
- 1 Tbsp extra special chili powder
- 2 Tbsp ground Biriyani spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp whole cumin
- Oil to cover the base of the pot
- 1 sprig of curry leaf
- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium potatoes
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup black lentils
- 1/4 cup frozen mixed veg
- 1 large onion
- There are different methods of cooking biryanis.
- Drain soya chunks from the water.
- Add all spices besides whole cinnamon, bay leaf, and whole cumin to the soya chunks.
- In your heated pot add oil just to cover the base and your onion and spice to fry.
- Add the spiced soya chunks to the oil and let both cook together for a few minutes.
- Peel and cut potatoes in halves and add to the soya chunks
- In a separate dish add your rice and black lentils to soak for a bit while the soya chunks and potatoes cook.
- Rinse rice and lentils about three times and drain
- Add rice to soya
- Add salt to taste
- Then your mixed frozen vegetables
- Add water just to cover rice and potatoes, cover and drop the heat to low.
- Test the rice is fully cooked and the biryani is ready.
- Wait for all liquid to evaporate from the biryani.
- Serve with salads
Prepared, tried, and tested by Daphne