As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am for sure going to make this Spotted dick, British steamed pudding, come Christmas time this year, as I can almost taste this delicious treat!
Spotted dick is a traditional British steamed pudding, historically made with suet and dried fruit and often served with custard. Non-traditional variants include recipes that replace suet with other fats, or that include eggs to make something similar to a sponge pudding or cake
British Steamed Pudding Spotted Dick
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Moderate
- Cuisine: British
- 250g self-raising
- 125g suet (shredded)
- 80g castor sugar
- 180g currants
- 1 lemon zest finely grated
- Pinch salt
- 150ml milk
- Put all ingredients into a bowl except the milk.
- Mix lightly with a fork and gradually add the milk until the mixture comes together in a nice moist dough.
- Put the dough into a pre-greased bowl and seal it with two layers of grease-proof paper and secure it with string ready to steam.
- Place the bowl in the steamer and add boiling water halfway up the bowl and bring to a boil.
- I use a stock pot with mason jar lids at the bottom to keep the bowl off the base.
- Once boiling, turn down the heat and place a lid on the steamer, and steam for 90 minutes.
- Check it’s cooked by popping a cocktail stick in the center, if it comes out clean it’s done.
- Leave for 10 minutes before turning it onto a plate to serve with custard.
16 Quart LARGE Stock Pot with Glass LidBuy Now →
16 oz. Wide-Mouth Glass Mason Jars with Metal Airtight LidsBuy Now →
Prepared, tried, and tested by Monica of The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 21.6 g
- Sodium: 540 mg
- Fat: 12.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.3 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 8.8 mg
Keywords: Steamed Pudding
We take pride in participating in various weekly and monthly Linky Parties where our content is showcased.
Looking for inspiration? This is a fantastic resource to explore, BUT before you go, don’t forget to share your posts with us here at SSPS.
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
This post was added to the following link parties: Sunday Sunshine Blog Hop
4 thoughts on “British Steamed Pudding Spotted Dick”
I’d never heard of this before. I also enjoy lear I g about new things.
Thanks for sharing this recipe at the Sunday Sunshine Blog Hop 62!
HI Laurie. Thank you for dropping by and yes this British Steamed Pudding Spotted Dick is not very well known, but hope you will be able to give it a go and try it out, but above all enjoy it.
I had no idea what spotted dick was. I thought it was some meat and egg thing. #THeRandom
Yes, never too old to learn new stuff. I have heard of it before but this being the first recipe and I love it.