Growing up as in most Indian households, Fridays are fasting days and there will definitely be Sugar Beans with Potato Stew
- 1 x tin (250g), sugar beans, washed and drained.
- 60ml x Olive oil.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 x green chili, chopped.
- 20ml x tomato paste.
- Few curry leaves, but you can omit them if you can’t get your hands on any.
- 1 x tbsp. white sugar.
- 3 x potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- 1 x tsp ginger and garlic paste.
- In a pot, heat the oil, add the onions, and saute until transparent.
- After that mix in the chili, curry leaves, ginger, garlic, and salt, stir, and cook for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Once done, you can add tomato paste and potatoes, and toss so that the potatoes are nicely coated.
- Be sure to add enough water to cover the potatoes, cover the pot with a lid, and allow the potatoes to cook on medium heat until almost done, check every couple of minutes, and add more water to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the sugar beans and a little more water.
- Cover and cook until the potatoes are done and the gravy is nice and thick.
In one of my grans Cape Malay cookbooks, I found this Homemade Sugar Beans with Potato Bredie/Stew, although she made it with meat and I have left the meat out to make this a meatless dish. This is so much better and tastier than my normal sugar-bean curry.
This Sugar Beans with Potato Stew recipe serves 4 people.
Prepared, tried, and tested Bobby Swanson
In need of more Indian dishes, we’ve got you covered.
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I will be on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes directly to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!
We happily share our awesome recipes and are excited to sprinkle some love by sharing our posts at these awesome Linkup Parties.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.