As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This will be one of the best recipes you’ll ever try, this is a Super Indian Fry Bread.
It is deep-fried until golden brown and you can cover it with a sweet or savory topping, just like you prefer!
Ingredients for Super Indian Fry Bread
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1-2 cup shortening
- Extra flour to flour your hands
- Put flour in a bowl, add baking powder, salt, and powdered milk
- Mix in warm water to form a dough
- Cover hands in flour and knead the dough by hand until soft but not sticky.
- Cover with a cloth and let stand for 15-20 minutes
- Shape dough into balls about 2 inches across then flatten by patting and stretching the dough
- Melt shortening about an inch deep in the frying pan.
- When hot put the dough in the pan and fry one side until golden brown then turn and fry the other side
- Can be topped with honey, powdered sugar, etc.
You can also make it savory by topping with cooked sausage or a fried egg!
Tried this recipe?
Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Looking for some more Indian style food recipes?
Hi, have you ever considered to come and join us at our two FB Recipe Groups:
2 thoughts on “Super Indian Fry Bread”
Looks so good and I love Indian bread! I don’t know that I could pull it off, but the simplicity of your recipe makes me think maybe I could! Thanks, Paige Bainbridge, http://www.paigebainbridge.com
Hi there Paige – Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment here. I am sure you can do it. You will notice that a young girl, a mere (I think about 12 years old) made this, so I am sure that you will be able to pull this off. Go for it.