The Giant Boston Cream Cake
A Boston cream cake is a cake with a cream filling. The dessert acquired its name when cakes and pies were cooked in the same pans, and the words were used interchangeably. In the later part of the 19th century, this type of cake was variously called a “cream pie”, a “chocolate cream pie”, or a “custard cake”.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 40 mL butter
- 60 mL cocoa powder
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 30 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease/line 2 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center and mix in all remaining ingredients except for the coffee.
- Lastly, add the coffee and mix to combine.
- Pour into pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a rack and cool before icing.
- Empty the condensed milk into a saucepan and heat over medium heat while
- After about 15 minutes, it will be thickened but not browned - look for a consistency that's just a bit less thick than frosting.
- Allow it to cool before spreading it between the 2 cake layers.
- I used almost all of it.
- Whisk butter and cocoa powder together very thoroughly until perfectly
- Add icing sugar, milk, and vanilla and mix until smooth and perfectly combined.
- Spread it over the top of the cake and enjoy!
- Made for a happy birthday cake for my hubby - barely anything came home from
his work for us to try.
- It was delicious
Prepared, tried, and tested by Corlea Smit from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SATasty Recipes - Saffas Daily Recipes
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Amount Per Serving Calories 401Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 41mgSodium 443mgCarbohydrates 64gFiber 2gSugar 45gProtein 5g
EsmeSalon provides approximate nutrition information for your convenience and as a courtesy only. Please note that all nutrition data is congregated by online calculators. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe, and we strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but can not guarantee or provide any assurances regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own estimates based on the ingredients used, and by using your own and preferred nutrition calculator. The author(s) of EsmeSalon are not dietitians or nutritionists. Any recommendations shall not be construed as medical or nutritional advice. You are fully responsible for any actions you take and any consequences that occur because of anything you read on this website. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Please consult your health care provider regarding any health-related decisions.
More Boston Cream Recipes can be found on the blog.
Come and join us on Facebook at our two Recipe Groups and check out our Online Store