Tiramisu Sponge Cake is a classic Italian recipe which I baked for my Dad’s 75th birthday today and was thoroughly enjoyed by all.
- 200g soft butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1tsp espresso coffee/finely ground NESCAFÉ Alta Rica
- 4 eggs
- ¼ c milk
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Now add vanilla and espresso powder
- After that add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition
- Combine flour, baking powder in another bowl.
- Sift over creamed mixture bit by bit
- Stir in gently until well combined
- Add milk if the mixture is too stiff, as cake mixture should be soft but not runny.
- Divide into 2 well-greased cake tins and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 17-20 min.
- Cool in the tin completely before turning out.
Cream Cheese Frosting for Tiramisu Sponge Cake:
- 1½ ounce boiling water
- 3-ounce dark chocolate
- 1tsp espresso coffee
- 1/3c sugar
- 1 c smooth creamed cheese
- 3 c whipped cream.
- Combine boiling water with chocolate and mix well.
- Add coffee, mix well.
- Cool completely.
- Add creamed cheese and sugar and mix well, fold in a little cream at a time.
- Place on top of one cake, cover with the other sponge layer
- Completely cover the entire cake with topping.
- Place boudoir biscuits around the cake and decorate as desired.
Prepared, tried and tested Melenie Govender Pillay
Yummy Tiramisu variety recipes
Tried this recipe?
Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare