As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tuscan Ribollita White Bean Vegetable Soup, a hearty broth, beany, vegetable-packed Tuscany soup to beat the nippy cold weather.
Ribollita is a famous Tuscan bread soup, panade, porridge, or potage made with bread and vegetables, often from leftovers.
Can you freeze Tuscan bean soup?
The quick answer is: yes, you can! Of course, you’ll need good-quality freezer bags and a canning funnel.
What does ribollita mean in English?
Traditionally, ribollita (which is Italian for “twice boiled”), was basically leftover minestrone soup that was reheated (or re-boiled, hence the name ribollita); however, chunks of crusty bread were added to the leftover soup before it was served.
Tuscan Ribollita White Bean Vegetable Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner Recipes
- Cuisine: Tuscany
A comforting bowl of Ribollita which is a Tuscan white bean and vegetable soup served on chunks of day-old bread easy meat-free dinner for a rather nippy evening.
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2–3 Carrots (diced)
- 2–3 Celery Sticks (diced)
- 2–3 Cloves Garlic (grated)
- 4 Whole Tomatoes (blanched)
- 1 Bunch Spinach/Swiss Chard/Kale
- 1 Large Zucchini
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans
- 2–3 Dried Bay Leaves
- 2–3 Sprigs Thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Stale bread (ciabatta/sourdough)
- Parmesan Rinds (optional)
- 2/3 cups Vegetable Stock/Broth
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat a thin film of olive oil in a large pot.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery, and cook till soft.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes then add to the pot along with the stock, rinds, herbs, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Allow this to cook until the tomatoes have broken down, then add in the leafy vegetable, cannellini beans, and zucchini
- Allow this to simmer for about 10 minutes, season well, and allow to cool completely then refrigerate.
- Reheat the next day, lay chunks of bread in a deep dish, ladle soup over, and serve with a generous grating of parmesan and enjoy!!
Prepared, tried, and tested by Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes- Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 709
- Fat: 2
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 10
- Protein: 13
- Cholesterol: 3
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.
2 thoughts on “Tuscan Ribollita White Bean Vegetable Soup”
How do you think about these recipes? what inspires you, Esme? Such glorious culinary ideas to make at home, my family thanks you 😀
Dear Julie. Wow. Thank you so much for your kind words. This is awesome. I have 2 FB groups with around 15K members and they all agreed that I am permitted to use the recipes they prepare at home and post it on the blog. You will see the name of the member always on the post as recognition.
I will pass your comment over to them as they will be happy to hear it.