Vanilla Custard Plum Tart, have you ever made one??
If not, this is the one you have to test and make as soon as possible. You will enjoy the flaky shortcrust pastry, vanilla custard, and for sure the fresh plums. Thanks to my friend Jennifer for the Plums.
- 250 gr Plain Flour
- 125 gr Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1T Cornstarch
- 1T Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water (if needed)
Vanilla Custard (Crème Pâtissière)
- 500 ml Full Fat Milk
- 50 gr Brown Sugar
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 50 gr Cornstarch
- 1 Vanilla Bean (or 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Paste)
- 2 Red Plums
- 2 Black Plums
- 1 Dozen Mint Leaves, Optional
Shortcrust Pastry for Vanilla Custard Plum Tart
- Put the Flour, Cornstarch, and Brown Sugar in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter into small cubes. When at room temperature, add it to the Flour. The butter should be soft enough to mix with the flour but not melted.
- Rub the butter and flour between your palms and fingers until small crumbs form. All the flour and butter should be incorporated.
- Create a well in the middle of the crumbs and pour the Egg Yolk. Slowly incorporate it with the rest of the dough.
- Quickly knead the dough into a large ball. If the dough is too dry and doesn’t stick together, add a little bit of water, one spoon at a time.
- Put the dough to rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180’C (350’F).
- When rested, spread the dough with a rolling pin. Try to roll the dough as thinly as possible without breaking it.
- Transfer it into a tart tin, and stick a fork all over the dough.
- Cover with baking paper and baking beads or dry beans/chickpeas.
- Blind bake the Shortcrust Pastry for about 20 minutes or until fully cooked and golden.
Vanilla Custard (Crème Pâtissière)
- In a small pot, heat the Milk and Vanilla Bean and let it infuse for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, split the Vanilla Bean in half, scrape all the vanilla seeds, and add them to the Milk.
- Alternatively, you can use Vanilla Paste. Simply let it infuse in the pot with the warm milk for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the Egg Yolks and Sugar in a separate bowl until creamy. Slowly add the Cornstarch while beating.
- It is important to add the cornstarch very slowly while beating to avoid lumps.
- Pour half of the Warm Milk into the bowl with the egg mixture, stir quickly, then transfer the whole batter back into the pot with the rest of the Milk.
- Turn the heat back (low heat) on and whisk continuously until the custard starts thickening.
- Transfer the custard to a bowl and let it rest in the fridge until cold.
To Assemble the Vanilla Custard Plum Tart
- Once the pre-baked Shortcrust Pastry has cooled down, pour in the Vanilla Custard.
- Thinly slice the Red and Black Plums and place them over the Vanilla Custard.
Shortcrust and Tart recipes to pick and choose
Prepared, tried, and tested Beverley Gracie
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!
We happily share our awesome recipes and are super excited to sprinkle some love by sharing our posts at these awesome Linkup Parties.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.