I prefer baking therapy above retail therapy so I created this today and they turned out pretty well, so try these Apple Infused Vegan Rock Buns
- 230g coconut oil
- 460g self-raising flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 170g demerara sugar – soft brown
- 170g mixed dried fruit soaked in 1 cup of extra strong tea (I used 2 bags of red bush tea in 1 cup of boiling water). You will discard the excess that the fruit did not soak up.
- 2 flax eggs (2tsp ground/milled flaxseed mixed with 6tsp of tepid water)
- 3 heaped Tbsp. of apple sauce
- Demerara sugar, to add to your rock bun before baking
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F.
- See Bakers Note ****
- Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Squirt in the coconut oil, and mix through.
- I placed my mixing bowl with all the above ingredients on a scale and then squirt the coconut oil into the mixture, in order to get the 230g. It’s less than a 300ml bottle.
- Add sugar and dried fruit (drain and discard the excess liquid from the fruit and do not use the excess tea) and mix well.
- Add the flax egg mixture and the apple sauce.
- Stir it into the flour mixture to make a moist but firm dough.
- Brake dough into 24 equal heaps (NO neat balls/shapes required, so do not overhandle the dough) and place in a prepared baking tray.
- Top with the extra demerara sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time until risen, golden brown, and firm.
- Remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
**** Bakers Note: Firstly, prepare your flax egg mixture in one cup and then soak the fruit in the steeped tea in a second container.
Own creation, prepared, modified from a previous version I tried and tested Esme Slabs
More recipes to test out
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.