Wonton Soup Chicken Stock is a standard of Chinese cuisine and is made from seasoned chicken broth with filled wontons.
A wonton is a type of Chinese dumpling commonly found across regional styles of Chinese cuisine. It is also spelled wantan or wuntun in transliteration from Cantonese 雲吞 / 云吞 and wenden from Shanghainese 餛飩 / 馄饨
Chicken soup is a soup made from chicken, simmered in water, usually with various other ingredients. The classic chicken soup consists of a clear chicken broth, often with pieces of chicken or vegetables; common additions are pasta, noodles, dumplings, or grains such as rice and barley.
Wonton Soup Chicken Stock
I made a Wonton soup for one child and a side of fried wontons for my other cheeky child.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hours
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Category: Soups, Stews, and Chili
- Cuisine: Chinese
Homemade Chicken Stock
- Chicken Carcasses
- 2–3 Onions (chopped)
- 3–4 Carrots (chopped)
- 1 Bunch Celery
- 1 tsp. Whole Cloves
- 2–3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2–3 Garlic Bulbs
- 1 Tbsp. Whole Peppercorns
- 2–3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Knob Ginger (chopped)
- 2 Star Anise
- Salt to taste
- 300g Ground Meat (your choice)
- Chopped Scallions/Spring Onions
- 2–3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Knob Ginger (grated)
Homemade Chicken Stock
- Place the carcass in a large stockpot.
- Add in the vegetable, seasoning, and spices.
- Fill the pot with water until the carcass is submerged in liquid.
- Allow it to cook on medium heat for about an hour.
- When the vegetables are fork-tender, strain the contents into a large pot.
- The vegetable that remains in the strainer contains a lot of liquid so (with a fork), mash out the excess liquid from it before discarding.
- Strain for a second time to ensure a clearer stock.
- Allow the stock to cool completely before pouring it into a glass bottle.
- Store in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.
- Mix all the ingredients together and use them as the wonton filling.
- I added Bok choy, noodles, scallions, and soy to the stock/base.
- I also preferred to fry the wontons before adding them to the soup.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes -Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 323
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 928
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 28
- Cholesterol: 87
Keywords: chicken soup
More Chicken Soup varieties to try out
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!