Breaking the fast should not be considered in a hurry when its Your first meal of the day
Breaking the fast should not be considered in a hurry. This meal should be the most anticipated and thought out one of your day. If in a rush, your body does not really benefit and does not get the message that it has been fed.
Because of my varied working hours, I prepare this meal ahead of time, with care.
Breakfast on the run in a wide neck glass jar
- 80ml raw rolled oats
- 20ml chia seed
- 20ml almonds, ground
- Spice – 5ml each ground cinnamon, ginger.
- ½ cup Rooibos/green/regular tea
- Banana, ripe (I like over-ripe)
- Kefir or plain unsweetened yoghurt.
- Place the first four ingredients into the wide neck jar.
- Add tea of choice and allow to soak for a few hours/overnight.
- Later, add sliced banana and some yoghurt/kefir.
- Whizz with a stick blender until blended. Add more yoghurt/kefir to fill up to about 500ml.
- Blend well – I use the handle of the wooden spoon to do this final blend.
- Seal the jar and refrigerate it till needed.
- The mixture should be nice and thick.
- This is often enough to spread to lunch as well.
- Filling and satisfying.
- Cinnamon and oats stabilize blood glucose and ginger has warming and anti-inflammatory properties.
Prepared by Dee