• 6 slices bread (white or brown)
• Approximately 3 tablespoons softened butter to spread over the bread
• 1 onion, raw and finely sliced
2 to 3 onions, fried until caramelized (see notes below)
• 2 tomatoes, sliced
• Sliced or grated cheese
• Salt and grinded black pepper to season
Optional flavours to taste to make the sandwich even tastier:
• Chutney and / or mayonnaise
• Fresh herbs such as basil, parsley chives or chopped coriander
1. Spread butter on both sides of the bread slices (butter on the outside of the sandwiches will ensure a crisp, golden crust).
2. Placing tomato and onion slices on half of the slices, season with salt and pepper, or seasoning of your taste, and top with cheese.
3. Add optional sauces such as mayonnaise and chutney.
4. Cover with the remaining slices of bread.
5. Coat a clean grid lightly with Spray and Cook or cooking oil, place the sandwiches on grid, and slowly toast them until they are golden brown.
Serve before it cools down.
Submitted: Renee Matthee
TRIED AND TESTED