As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s grim outside so some comfort food is much needed. I prepared a hearty French-style Beef Ragout served with herbed Couscous.
Ragout, The term comes from the French ragoûter, meaning: “to revive the taste”. The basic method of preparation involves slow cooking over low heat. The main ingredients are many; ragouts may be prepared with or without meat, a wide variety of vegetables may be incorporated, and they may be more or less heavily spiced and seasoned.Print
French-style Beef Ragout
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 portions 1x
- Category: Dinner Recipes
- Cuisine: French
- Diet: VegetarianDiet
It’s grim outside so some comfort food is much needed. I prepared a hearty dish of Beef Ragout (a slow-cooked French-style stew) served with herbed Couscous.
- 1kg Beef (trimmed)
- 1 Large Onion (diced)
- 1 cup Carrots (chopped)
- 1 Zucchini (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Celery (diced)
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic (grated)
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Mixed Herbs
- 2 cups Tomatoes (blanched & chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Purée
- 2–3 Bay Leaves
- Sprigs of Thyme
- 1–2 cups Beef Stock/Water
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large oven-proof pot and brown the beef in batches, set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onions, garlic, paprika, and celery and cook until tender.
- Pour in the tomatoes and puree and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the meat back to the pot, pour in the stock, carrots, zucchini, seasonings, and herbs, top with bay leaves, cover, and place in the oven at 180C for about 2-3 hours or until the meat is fork-tender.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Prepared, tried, and tested by Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes -Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 751
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 552
- Fat: 46
- Saturated Fat: 17
- Unsaturated Fat: 24
- Trans Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 70
- Cholesterol: 218
Keywords: Beef Ragout
A Few More Serving Suggestions:
Comfort food is food that provides a nostalgic or sentimental value to someone, and may be characterized by its high caloric nature, high carbohydrate level, or simple preparation. The nostalgia may be specific to an individual, or it may apply to a specific culture
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
Tools and Products used in this Recipe
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.