This is for sure a winner, so try this Hoisin Chicken and Coconut Rice
- 800 gr chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 cm piece of ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- ¼ tsp Chinese salt (sea salt fine)
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or mirin (optional)
Marinade the chicken in the above for up to 24 hours – 1 hour also fine)
- 2 cups white rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- 400 ml of coconut milk
- 50ml chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup cilantro (dhania) leaves
Spring onions and extra hoisin for serving
Method for Hoisin Chicken and Coconut Rice
- Cut the chicken thighs and place it in a ziplock bag.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and seal the bag, squishing to coat the chicken with the sauce and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Take it out and then let it sit and bring it to room temperature.
- In the interim, preheat oven to 200 ˚C.
- Rinse rice until the water runs clear and drain.
- Use a baking tray and add the rice, then the coconut milk and stock – mix – add frozen peas and mix again to distribute evenly.
- Place the marinated chicken on top of the rice.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the oven but keep covered with the foil for at least 10 minutes before removing the foil and garnishing with spring onion and cilantro leaves.
Prepared, tried and tested Melanie Kramar
We have the best tried and tested chicken recipes
Tried this recipe?
Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare