As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning. How to make a batch of this homemade everything bagel seasoning and fresh bagels to go with it
A bagel is a bread product originating in the Jewish communities of Poland. It is traditionally shaped by hand into the form of a ring from yeasted wheat dough, roughly hand-sized, that is first boiled for a short time in water and then baked.
Is bagel healthier than bread?
Just one plain white bagel can account for about 300 calories, compared to around 90 calories per plain slice of white bread, according to Being Healthy TV. Half a bagel is a better substitute for morning toast, but remember that it will still equal almost two slices of bread in caloric content.
Recipes you should check out
Homemade Everything Bagel
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Bake Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 depending on size 1x
- Category: Bread Recipes
- Cuisine: Poland
I (Rochelle) mixed a batch of everything bagel seasoning so she had to make some bagels to go with its namesake.
Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 4 Tbsp. White Sesame Seeds
- 3 Tbsp. Black Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Poppy Seeds
- 3 Tbsp. Dried Onion Flakes
- 3 Tbsp. Dried Garlic Flakes
- 2 tsp. Coarse Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 3–3 1/2 cups Bread Flour
- 10g Yeast
- 7–8 cups Rapidly Boiling Water
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Egg (beaten)
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Mix all the ingredients together and store them in an airtight jar.
- Toppings: (seeds, cheese, raisins, cinnamon, chocolate chips, etc)
- Add 2 cups of the flour along with the other dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Pour in the water as the machine runs.
- The mixture will be quite runny.
- Add ½ cup of flour at a time until a soft dough forms.
- Knead/ beat for an additional 10 minutes.
- Place in an ungreased bowl and cover with a tea towel.
- Set in a warm place for 40-45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough into balls and shapes.
- Use two fingers to create a hole in the center.
- Place on a baking sheet, cover, and allow to rise for a further 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water (half full) to a boil.
- Add in the baking soda.
- Drop the bagels in one at a time for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Drain and place back on the baking sheet.
- Brush with egg, sprinkle on toppings, and bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy!!
Prepared, tried, and tested by Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes -Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
How is a bagel different from bread?
Bagels are boiled instead of baked but are also made of a yeast/wheat dough, shaped in circles with a hole in the middle, and have a firmer and chewier texture than a typical bread but still have a slight crust on the outside
Read all about Bagels
Awesome products and items used in this recipe
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.
2 thoughts on “Homemade DIY 6 Ingredient Everything Bagel Seasoning”
Yum, I love bagels, and I love everything bagel seasoning. I’ve never made my own. This looks like a good recipe.
Hi Pam, Thanks for popping in. Hope you will try this one and let me know what you think of it. It’s a great seasoning for sure.