Do you know How to cut and prepare Hasselback Potatoes? I love potatoes and decided to see how I can create my own version of this delicious treat and side dish!
Potato as per Wikipedia
The potato is a starchy tuber of the plant Solanum tuberosum and is a root vegetable native to the Americas, with the plant itself being a perennial in the nightshade family Solanaceae.
What is a Hasselback potato?
This name for this tasty side dish comes from the Swedish word Hasselbacken, the Stockholm restaurant where it was first served. Crispy on the outside and tender soft on the inside, the baked potato slices are like thick potato chips, but the slices are still attached to the base.
What is the Hasselback technique?
Hasselbacking is a cooking method in which potatoes or other items are sliced not-quite-all-the-way through in thin, even layers, which can be stuffed or topped with additional flavorings. It’s a way of creating more surface area for flavors and creating additional texture
When should you not eat a potato?
In addition, when potatoes sprout, the starch in the potatoes is converted into sugar. If the potato is firm, it has most of the nutrients intact and can be eaten after removing the sprouted part. However, if the potato is shrunken and wrinkled, it should not be eaten.
Can you freeze potatoes for baking?
Yes, you can freeze baked potatoes for between 6 and 8 months. They should be wrapped individually after being baked and stored without any fillings for the best results. If you include leftover fillings within the potatoes when freezing, it will make the potatoes soggy.Print
How to Cut and Prepare Hasselback Potatoes
Hasselback Potatoes – my way. I know I always do things differently, but that's me and I love trying out different and other methods and creating something as per our own taste. Hope you will also enjoy it
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Additional Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hours
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner Recipes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes.
- Firstly, slice off a thin slice of the edge of the potato ***
- Thinly slice the entire potato, about 3-4 mm thickness (the thinner the better).
- To make it easier, place your potato with a flat side on a chopping board.
- Place a chopstick on both sides and then thinly slice it, as this will ensure that you do not cut through the potato.
- ***Place the slice in your baking pan, and now place the sliced potato on top of it as this will help that the potato fan out over the dome sliced potato.
- Mix the oil, garlic, spring onion/parsley, herbs, and 2-3 tbsp oil.
- Use a kitchen brush and liberally brush this mixture in between the slices and all over the sliced potatoes.
- I brushed over approximately ¾ of the mixture and whatever you have left, add the remaining oil (you may need less) and keep aside.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes and baste again with the remaining mixture.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and continue to bake for another 20 minutes or until potatoes are crispy and golden brown and fully cooked and soft on the inside.
- Serve immediately, with lots and lots of sour cream, slivered chives/spring
onion, and bacon pieces.
Prepared, tried, and tested owner, Esme Slabs from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 658
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 410
- Fat: 55
- Saturated Fat: 6
- Unsaturated Fat: 48
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: How to cut and prepare Hasselback Potatoes
- How To Make Hasselback Potatoes
- BBQ Chicken with Hasselback Sweet Potato and Carrots
- Hasselback Potatoes
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!