As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Hawaiian Huli-Huli Chicken is supposed to be BBQ’d or baked in the oven but I Airfried them with delicious results.
Huli-Huli chicken is a grilled chicken dish in Hawaiian cuisine, prepared by barbecuing a chicken over mesquite wood and basting it with a sweet Huli-Huli sauce.
What does mesquite wood taste like?
Mesquite wood has a strong and earthy flavor that is ideal for most red and dark meats. It’s one of the hottest burning woods. Mulberry smoking wood has a flavor similar to apple that is ideal when grilling poultry, fish, and pork.
What meats are good with mesquite?
Mesquite Flavor Bisquettes especially pair well with beef, pork, game, fish, seafood, waterfowl, and nuts. Additionally, try mesquite smoke for grilling steaks, vegetables, and other quick-cooking, flavorful foods. Pro tip: Mesquite wood’s strong flavor can overpower mild poultry, pork shoulder, ribs, and fish
Some other Hawaiian recipes on the blog to test
Hawaiian Huli-Huli Chicken
- Prep Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 portions 1x
- Cuisine: Hawaiian
This Hawaiian Chicken is supposed to be BBQ’d or baked in the oven but I Airfried them with delicious results.
- 2kg chicken pieces (thighs, legs)
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Spring onions sliced for garnish
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, chicken stock, ginger, and garlic.
- Reserve 1 cup of sauce for basting.
- Add the chicken and sauce to a Ziplock bag and marinate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions if desired. (I air-fried for 20 minutes- basting halfway).
Prepared, tried, and tested Melanie from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 1123
- Sugar: 30
- Sodium: 2328
- Fat: 46
- Saturated Fat: 13
- Unsaturated Fat: 29
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 34
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 135
- Cholesterol: 584
Keywords: Huli-Huli Chicken
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.