Like a koeksister, the South African Bollas is a smaller version of the traditional confectionery made of fried dough infused in syrup and covered with coconut.
South African Bollas
Savor the authentic taste of South Africa with our delightful Buttermilk Bollas! Get going and whip up a batch of these scrumptious treats and experience a burst of flavors like never before.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Resting Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 100 depending on size 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Moderate
- Cuisine: South African
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 4 cups cake flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups of water
1 cup Coconut
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and oil and beat until creamy.
- In a separate bowl sift flour and baking powder twice.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture.
- Now add the buttermilk and mix it into a soft, sticky dough.
- Allow resting for at least 30 minutes.
- Place spoonfuls of mixture in hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Mix sugar and water and allow simmering over low heat until syrupy.
- Dip a spoon in cold water to ensure that the dough separates from the spoon to form neatly rounded balls when dropped in oil.
- Place some syrup in a pan.
- Heat through and add Bollas.
- Syrup Bollas until glossy and sprinkle with coconut.
NB: Not suitable for freezing, but can be refrigerated before you dip them in the syrup.
Variation: Add two pieces of stick cinnamon and two cardamom pods while boiling the syrup.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Feriel from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
Keywords: South African, Bollas, Goolgoolas
How about a Warm Water Bollas or Bollas in general
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I will be on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes directly to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!
We happily share our awesome recipes and are excited to sprinkle some love by sharing our posts at these awesome Linkup Parties.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.