Malva pudding is a sweet and rich cake of Cape Dutch origin, and it’s super delicious
What is Malva Pudding
Malva pudding is a sweet pudding of South African origin. It contains apricot jam and has a spongy caramelized texture. A cream sauce is often poured over it while it is hot, and it is usually served hot with custard and/or ice cream. Many South African restaurants offer it.
**For the pudding, feel free to use up to 1 cup of sugar if you prefer it sweeter.
Preheat the oven to 190C / 375F
- Beat the sugar and egg until fluffy.
- Add and beat in jam into the above mixture.
- Sift dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Melt butter in a pot on medium heat
- Add vinegar and milk.
- Now add the butter mixture and the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Pour into a well-greased baking tin.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is a lovely brown color.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add sugar, cream, and water and mix well and keep aside.
- Have the sauce ready, as soon as you’ve taken the pudding out of the oven, you need to pour the sauce over the pudding.
- Use all the sauce, it will seep into the baked pudding.
- Enjoy with ice cream or custard or both.
- Decorate with nuts, some fruit, or whatever you prefer.
Prepared, tried, and tested Jennifer Govender Bisnath from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 23
- Sodium: 198
- Fat: 28
- Saturated Fat: 18
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 101
Keywords: Malva Pudding
More Malva Pudding recipes you can try out
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.