As it’s only two of us, I decided to make a quick South African Microwave Milk Tart (Melktert) for New Years’ Eve.
Melktert is a South African dessert originally created by the Dutch settlers in the “Cape” consisting of a sweet pastry crust containing a custard filling made from milk, flour, sugar, and eggs.
Can Milk Tart be frozen?
Make ahead: Milk tart can be made up to 2 days in advance and kept covered in the fridge. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freezing: Freezing is not recommended as the custard might change texture once thawed.
South African Microwave Milk Tart (Melktert)
Super easy, delicious, and made in the microwave, so no fuss and bother!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Set Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 large springform pan 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: South African
- Mix all the ingredients in a large microwave bowl.
- Microwave three times as follows: 1st session: 7 minutes; 2nd session: 5 minutes; 3rd session: 3 minutes
- Use a handheld electric mixer and after each session in the microwave beat it for one minute.
- If you have a high-powered microwave then only do 5; 3 and 1-minute intervals which I did.
- Once done add the vanilla essence and beat one last time and pour the mixture over the crumbs.
- Sprinkle with Cinnamon powder and let it set in the fridge.
- I used a springform pan (as it’s super easy to pop it out) and covered the bottom with a circle of parchment paper. I will use a 9” next time, then it will the thicker but obviously, it does not make a difference.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Esme Slabs from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 3106
- Sugar: 310
- Sodium: 2928
- Fat: 125
- Saturated Fat: 79
- Unsaturated Fat: 40
- Trans Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 295
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 204
- Cholesterol: 558
Keywords: Microwave Milk Tart