As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I tried something different tonight and made this Sweet and Sour Chicken Bake, and best of all, you can do this and only use ONE casserole dish.Print
Sweet and Sour Chicken Bake
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Additional Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 generous portions 1x
- Category: Dinner Recipes
I tried something different tonight, and made this Sweet and Sour Chicken Bake, all the best of all, you can do this and only use ONE casserole dish.
- 6 – 8 chicken pieces or as I did a whole chicken cut up into pieces. I also used the carcass
- 2 cubes of Chicken stock
- Water to cover the chicken pieces
- 1 Cup of raw rice (I used Tastic Rice, but you can also use Basmati or any other of your preference. *Note: I used 2 cups, but feel free to use 1 cup of rice only
- ± 375 g frozen mixed vegetables. You can also use fresh Stir Fry vegetables if you prefer that.
- 4 spring onions
- 3 Tbsp. white sesame seed
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Plum Jam or if you have apricot jam
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- Add all the sauce ingredients and whisk together until well blended and keep aside.
- Set oven at 180C / 350F
- Place the chicken pieces in a large dish, cover with water and crumble the chicken cubes (stock) over it and bake in preheated oven for 10-15 (or however long you deem appropriate) but it should not be overcooked as you will still bake it later.
- Best to have it just done.
- At this point, transferred the chicken and sauce to the lid.
- I used the base of my casserole dish and then added the raw rice to the dish.
- Take these chicken pieces and place them skin-side up on the raw rice.
- Pour the juice from when you cooked the chicken over the chicken and rice
- Add the vegetables, (I used frozen mixed vegetables, and approximately ¾ bag, so roughly 375 g) but you can add as little or much as you like.
- Add the reserved sweet chili sauce over the chicken and then the chopped spring onions and lastly the sesame seed.
- Cover your casserole with the lid, or if you do not have a lid, with tinfoil and bake for at least 45 minutes.
- Have a look, and if needed add more water, although I did not have to as I used more than enough to cover the chicken at the beginning.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 40-50 minutes uncovered.
- If needed, (I did) turn the oven to broil to give it a nicer toast and you have an awesome meal fit for a king.
- Note this meal will serve at least 10 generous portions, depending on if you used 1 or 2 cups of rice.
- As I used a whole chicken, I opted to add 2 cups of rice.
- We enjoyed a second meal the following night and the remaining rice I packed in small portions and placed in the freezer for later use.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Esme from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 2139
- Sugar: 143
- Sodium: 2046
- Fat: 33
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 20
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 410
- Fiber: 159
- Protein: 116
- Cholesterol: 71
Keywords: Sweet and Sour Chicken Bake
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
Some more Recipes you should check out
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.
This post was added to the following link parties: