Are you sure you are ready for this Ube Purple Yam Cheesecake? You will want some. Now you have been warned. It’s yummy!
Ube, meaning tuber in Tagalog, is a purple yam originally from the Philippines. Different than the purple sweet potato, it has an even sweeter, more mellow taste than its orange relative.
What does ube taste like?
Even though ube and purple sweet potatoes share a sweet, earthy taste, ube has a distinctively nuttier, vanilla-like flavor. In addition to their differences in taste, ube is moister than sweet potatoes, which tend to be drier in texture.
What is the English term for ube?
Dioscorea alata, also known as purple yam, ube (/ˈubɛ/, /ˈubeɪ/), or greater yam, among many other names, is a species of yam (a tuber).
Ube Purple Yam Cheesecake
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Resting Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Cuisine: Philippino
Are you sure you are ready for this? You will want some. Now you have been warned, it’s yummy!
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons Sugar (divided)
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup shredded ube (Purple Yam)
- 2 pkg (16 ounces) cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, 3 Tablespoons of Sugar, and butter. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie dish
- With mixes, beat the cream cheese, shredded ube, 1 cup Sugar, and vanilla until blended. (You can find it in your local Asian grocery store. They usually sell it in fresh and frozen form. Either work with this recipe.)
- At low speed, add eggs, one at a time, until blended. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Pour over the crust.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until the center is almost set. Then remove from oven.
- Allow chilling in the refrigerator before serving
Prepared, tried, and tested by David of The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 12 servings
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 18.3 g
- Sodium: 137.2 mg
- Fat: 11.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 89.9 mg
Other delicious Cheesecake recipes to try out
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
- Tasty Super Delicious Oreo Chocolate Unbaked Caramel Cheesecake
- Thanksgiving Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Oreo Biscuits Cheesecake
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
6 thoughts on “Ube Purple Yam Cheesecake”
Omg, this looks so great; the color is just amazing. Your recipes are always making my stomach growl like crazy 🙂 Where can I get this purple thing? Can I substitute it with something else?
Thank you so much for your kind words, much appreciated. I am not sure of your location, but you may wish to check the internet for your area. Hopefully you will be able to source purple yam from a specialty shop as I do not think the standard shops will carry it, I may be mistaken. I truly hope you will be able to find some and try this out. Please do let me know if you do and make this and provide this recipe with a rating. It’s always great to hear what other have to say once they try out any recipes as you well know as a fellow food blogger. Thanks in advance.
How gorgeous! I’ve heard that purple food id more nutritious, too.
Terri, This Ube – Purple Yam is delicious for sure
Wow, that’s gorgeous!
Morning Lisa, I totally agree with you, outstanding looking and delicious. Hope you will give it a try.