Still not sure What is Chicken Shawarma made of? Well, then you will know once you checked out this Chicken Shawarma recipe.
What is a Shawarma
Shawarma is a popular Middle Eastern dish consisting of meat cut into thin slices, stacked in a cone-like shape, and roasted on a slowly-turning vertical rotisserie or spit. Originally made with lamb or mutton, it is now also made of chicken, turkey, beef, or veal. Thin slices are shaved off the cooked surface as it continuously rotates. Shawarma is one of the world’s most popular street foods, especially in Egypt, the countries of the Levant, the Arabian Peninsula, and the rest of the Middle East.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 5 fillets
- 2 tbsp. Aminas Tikka marinade
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup Nandos Bushveld braai sauce
- 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tsp masala
- Salt and pepper
- Sift flour and then add salt and yeast
- Add oil and water
- Combine to make a soft dough
- Knead for 5 minutes
- Place in a bowl, cover with cling wrap
- Leave to rise for an hour
- Then gently punch it down
- Break into 6 pieces and roll into balls
- Cover, leave to rest for 30 minutes
- Roll out very gently
- Roll into about half a cm thickness
- Cook on a hot non-stick pan or Tawa
- Marinate the fillet in the marinade, yogurt, braai sauce, garlic paste, masala, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hrs
- Cook in the oven at 180C for 1 hr, covered in foil
- Then shred the cooked chicken
- Mix with mayonnaise or sauce when you're filling the pita bread
- You can add caramelized onions as well.
Prepared, tried, and tested Jennifer Govender Bisnath from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Amount Per Serving Calories 338Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 4mgSodium 1495mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 9g
EsmeSalon provides approximate nutrition information for your convenience and as a courtesy only. Please note that all nutrition data is congregated by online calculators. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe, and we strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but can not guarantee or provide any assurances regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own estimates based on the ingredients used, and by using your own and preferred nutrition calculator. The author(s) of EsmeSalon are not dietitians or nutritionists. Any recommendations shall not be construed as medical or nutritional advice. You are fully responsible for any actions you take and any consequences that occur because of anything you read on this website. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Please consult your health care provider regarding any health-related decisions.
More Shawarma recipes to make at home
Thanks for stopping by
- If you liked this post, please share it on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter. It will be awesome if you care to leave us a rating and review once you prepared this recipe. ♥
- If you’re in need of a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please do visit the shop and have a look at all those awesome Recipe eBooks.
- Amazon: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom.
If you from time to time do online shopping through Amazon, I will be grateful for your support using any of my links. Please take a look at any of the recipes on this blog. Either use a regular link or an image with the Buy from Amazon purple button. Thank you for your support and for using my links.