Golden Flax Meal Bread
Grinding whole flax seeds breaks the hard outer shell, creating a light and slightly oily powder. Because the seed is already broken, you do not have to worry about chewing as you do with the whole seed. Thus, a flaxseed meal is easily processed by your body, providing lignans and fibre, plus the omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic (ALA). You can add flaxseed meal easily to many cooked and uncooked foods, and it can act as a thickener or fat substitute in recipes. Because grinding releases the oil, some care must be taken in the storing and handling of meal. Sold to consumers in kilogram or pound packages, flaxseed meal is only slightly more expensive than whole seeds.
Fresh Food Additive. Flaxseed meal can be sprinkled onto yogurt, hot and cold cereals, hummus, or ice cream. Added to milkshakes, or juices, it makes a flavourful and nutritious snack.
In Cooking. Flaxseed meal adds nutrition to many other recipes that you may prepare fresh, including casseroles, meat dishes, and salads. Flaxseed meal may be added to pasta dishes and meatloaves or used as a breading on meats to be baked.
In Baking. Flaxseed meal is easily added to cookie mixes, bread doughs, and almost any baked good mixture. Flaxseed meal is stable at temperatures used to bake batters and doughs, such as muffins or bread, according to several studies.
As an Egg Replacer – Flaxseed meal is very useful to vegans as a
replacement for eggs in baked goods recipes. You can use a water/flaxseed meal mixture instead of an egg in recipes, such as pancakes, muffins, and cookies.
As a Fat Replacer – Flaxseed meal can replace some, or all, of the fat such as
margarine, shortening, or butter in a recipe. Baked goods with flax as a fat replacer
tend to brown more quickly than regular recipes, so you may have to modify
normal cooking times.
- 2 cups finely ground golden flax seed meal
- 5 egg whites
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds / black poppy seeds, or a mixture for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the flax seed meal, baking powder, cream of tartar, salt, and Psyllium husk powder in a bowl and whisk them together.
- Separate the eggs and lightly beat with a handheld mixer until the egg whites, start to get frothy.
- In another bowl whisk the egg yolk with a fork.
- Combine the two egg mixtures with the dry ingredients and mix through with a spatula until no dry spots are visible.
- Do not over mix, and add the oil and apple cider vinegar and blend through until all combined.
- Have the boiling water ready and add with the mixture and blend and mix until all combined.
- Please do not waste any time as the baking powder and cream of tartar will be activated and start to work once combined with the vinegar and the dough may not rise as well if the mixture does not get in the oven quick enough and you will end up with a very dense bread.
- The mixture will be slightly wet and sticky, that's perfectly fine.
- Rinse your hands and with wet hands, roll the dough into either 10 small balls, and place it in a bread pan lined with parchment paper and sprayed with any cooking spray
Should you only make 6 large balls place it on a parchment-lined baking tin.
- Sprinkle with seeds as decoration.
- Bake for 30 minutes (time may vary depending on your oven).
- It should have a nice color and when tested with a skewer it should come out clean.
Prepared, tried and tested by Esme Slabs
Amount Per Serving Calories 190Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 37mgSodium 415mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 7gSugar 0gProtein 7g
Please note: I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition information on this blog, EsmeSalon, has been calculated by using an online calculator and is intended for information and guidance purposes only. If the nutrition information is important to you, please be advised that you should consider calculating it yourself, using your preferred tool.
Golden Flax Meal Bread and other Wheat Free recipes to choose from