As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You need to try this mouthwatering, delicious Fried Steak with Garlic Mustard Cheese Sauce and Spur Onion Rings soon!
Fried Steak with Garlic Mustard Cheese Sauce and Spur Onion Rings
- Prep Time: 1 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 3 portions 1x
- Category: Dinner Recipes
A delicious and nice Friday evening meal for the family to enjoy especially if they did not expect such a treat.
- 2 large onions
- 2 cups flour
- 1 heaped tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp Spur seasoning salt
- 1 tsp Aromat (Vegeta)
- 1 tsp BBQ spice.
- 500gr tenderized steak
- Meat dry rub
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 heaped tbsp cornstarch
- Oil for frying
- 3 large potatoes
- Olive Oil
Garlic Mustard Cheese Sauce
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 heaped tsp minced garlic (or more)
- 1 tbsp. grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup chicken stoc
- 2 cups warm milk/half and half
- a dash of black pepper
- a dash of mustard powder
- 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- a dash of nutmeg (at the end)
- Thinly sliced the onion (I used a mandolin), and cover with sprite (or soda water) for a minimum of an hour (up to 24 hours).
- Add drained onion rings to seasoned flour, coat well put in a colander, and shake off excess flour.
- Fry in medium hot oil until golden and crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with Spur seasoning salt.
- Every family’s taste differs – so create your own dry rub and apply it to the steak.
- Mix it in a bowl and toss it on the steaks lightly (reserve some/lots for the potatoes!)
- Bear in mind I always sprinkle bicarb on my meat for 15 minutes, rinse then pat dry, then marinate.
- Then add the egg and cornstarch and mix well into the steak.
- Shallow fry in hot oil.
- Peel, wash, and cut them according to your family’s likeness.
- Parboil slightly, and dry them.
- Pour some olive oil over – just enough to coat them – then toss in the spices you used on the steaks.
- Place in an oiled baking pan. Set aside. Bake at 180 degrees C – for 25 minutes – blot with butter the last 10 minutes (while making your sauce).
- Melt butter, add garlic and mustard sauce then stir in flour (off the heat) until blended.
- Return to heat and stir in the chicken stock, whisking vigorously.
- Add milk/cream and bring to just below boiling point once thickened.
- Stir in pepper and mustard powder.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted,
- Add nutmeg.
Prepared, tried, and tested Melanie Kramar from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes From Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 1363
- Sugar: 9
- Sodium: 1008
- Fat: 54
- Saturated Fat: 22
- Unsaturated Fat: 26
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 156
- Fiber: 11
- Protein: 64
- Cholesterol: 243
Keywords: steak, potato, mustard sauce
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
More awesome Steak recipes on the blog
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
2 thoughts on “Fried Steak with Garlic Mustard Cheese Sauce and Spur Onion Rings”
This sounds delicious…I just wish onions liked me 🙁 for some reason and not sure why they have suddenly turned on me with a vengeance … #SeniSal
That’s not nice, but I have heard that the carbohydrates in onions may cause gas and bloating. Maybe you should just not have it for a while and then later try to slowly introduce it back into your food.