Frittata with Bacon, Broccoli & Mushrooms
What is a Frittata?
Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish and similar to an omelet or crustless quiche or scrambled eggs. With a Frittata you will add additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, or vegetables or whatever you fancy.
Did you know, that the word frittata is Italian and roughly translates to “fried.”
What’s the difference between an omelet and a frittata?
Unlike omelets, frittata fillings are mixed in with the eggs in the pan rather than folded in the center. Omelets are typically made to serve just one, while frittatas can serve one or many. It can also be eaten hot or at room temperature. Large frittatas are cut in slices and served.
- 250 g bacon, sliced or diced
- 150 g broccoli florets
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 150 g mushrooms, chopped
- 150 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 eggs
- 300 ml full cream milk
- 50 ml fresh cream
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Get an ovenproof frying pan or wide pot and fry the onions in butter.
- Add the bacon and fry to your liking — I like it when the edges just start to crisp up.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms and stir occasionally until tender.
- Add the minced garlic and one sprig of finely chopped coriander.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, baking powder, cream, parsley, a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper together.
- Turn the heat off and add the egg mixture to your cooked veggies, bacon, and onions.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 35 minutes (depending on your ovenproof dish).
- Allow to cool slightly, garnish with fresh coriander leaves and enjoy.
Prepared, tried and tested by Jana Cooks
Amount Per Serving Calories 490Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 334mgSodium 1142mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 31g
All recipes on this blog, EsmeSalon, are for personal home use, and as I am not a nutritionist, please use these calculations as a guide only. Please feel free to check the nutritional values for accuracy.